Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Red Cedar Secret - SOLD


Red Cedar Secret
6" x 8", oil
Sold

Obviously there are no cedars in this painting, but the name of the lake is Red Cedar. The photo is taken from my "secret" path (deer trail) that follows along the lake for a bit.

I'd been avoiding using this photo because it seemed so dull, but a good one to try out the Zorn palette (white, ivory black, yellow ochre, cad. red) that my mom has been using recently. It was a really nice vacation from my usual pallet of 7-9 colors, it felt more spontaneous since I wasn't spending so much time thinking about all the options normally on my palette. It was more about values and trying to get the most out of what was available.

I'm very lucky that my mom does a lot of the leg work looking up artists and sending me links, this is a link she sent recently to Stapleton Kearns, a wealth of knowledge. I found this quote on his blog:

PAINTING SHOULD GET HARDER FOR YOU RATHER THAN EASIER. THE BETTER YOU GET AT IT, THE HARDER IT WILL BE.

I am sorry to have to be the one to tell you that cruel truth, but you will be a better painter if you accept that, and look for evermore expressive ways of doing things rather than more effective, or tried and true means.
At first it was a bit disheartening to read, but then it was sort of a relief to find out that it should be hard. Now when I feel like I must be really bad at this because it's so hard for me, I'll have to remember that it's SUPPOSE to feel hard! Hooray! ...I guess...



5 comments:

  1. Love it, not dull at all! I too have been trying the Zorn palette and find it very freeing, but also challenging. Making my palette more simple make me think I should do the same with my closet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice painting...
    just like your other works...

    the quote also is nice...hats off to your mom for finding...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your birch trees, Carrie. Great job with the Zorn palette! It works out great for winter landscapes on gray days like we've been having lately.

    I would love to see your secret path to Cedar lake someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For just a very simple photograph and a limited palette you have made a great job of bringing the scene alive and full of atmosphere. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The harder they come, the harder they fall..." And "Easy come, easy go... I is the better way for artists and art I mean. Nice *cool* painting!

    ReplyDelete