Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Superior Day


A Superior Day
6" x 8", oil

After looking at all those beautiful beach scenes on DSFDF I had to look thru my photos for my own beach scene. This one is from my favorite place to be on sweltering day, the beach near Pictured Rocks on Lake Superior. My daughter was playing while watching mom or dad? in the kayak and her brother and grandpa snorkeling, grandma took the picture.

This was another big challenge for me, my second try at painting a figure. As usually the parts I thought would be easy (rocks) were difficult and the parts I thought would be hard (figures) went pretty easy.

10 comments:

  1. Wow Carrie, I love this painting! Your painting skills has reached a new level. Every area of this painting has been handled well. I always admired artist that can paint loose with just a few fresh brushstrokes to describe a subject and you are doing it!

    I remember that day and you have captured the moment! This summer I will happily babysit so you can plein air paint at the same location.

    Great job Carrie, keep painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This painting took my breath away Carrie! It's really beautiful! You paint like a seasoned figure artist and every area supports the subject...hope to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an amazing painting! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL painting, Carrie! Wonderfully composed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great scene and painting, very nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie, I really like this one! You should come stay with us in the UP this summer to paint Lake Superior by us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for the support and great comments. I hope I have time to do the latest DSFDF project...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrie, this is wonderful. Everything about it is so good! Really strong composition. I would never know you weren't a seasoned figure painter. I love her little hat and the way that pretty pink bathing suit is reflected in the wet sand. Love her little bended leg. Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this one. Seal it, frame it, let's hang it!

    ReplyDelete