Sunday, March 8, 2009

Marsh in March



Marsh in March
6" x 8"
Sold

On Friday I abandoned housework to head down to the marsh for some plein air painting. I haven't used my pochade box much so this was a good shakedown run. I had packed a small tube of zinc white since my big tube of titanium wouldn't fit. That was a near disaster. That stuff would just NOT cover the canvas. Because of this I ended up spending about half the time painting outside and half in the studio. Here's how it looked at the half way point...

Here's the spot where I was painting. I had planned to sit on the crate, but I need my knees up higher so I just sat on a canoe pad instead.


Somewhere in that snow and weeds is my rigger brush. It was the only one I had so that forced me to use a palette knife for some of the details.

This is a photo of my new toy. I picked up a digital photo frame marked way down at a Circuit City. To my utter amazement, Kodak actually thought to put a screw thingy on the bottom so (with a little rigging) it can be attached to a tripod. I wanted to try this because I basically hate dealing with trying to get decent prints from either my printer or a photo processor. My studio isn't setup to view my monitor, so this seemed like a decent compromise. I've only used it with these last two paintings, but overall I'm fairly happy with it. BTW--that IS a stuffed Totoro in the background. If you don't recognize him, google "My Neighbor Totoro". I'm generally not much of an anime fan, but the art in that movie is amazing, not to mention a really cool story.

9 comments:

  1. I love seeing your set up here Carrie! You've like the McGiver of Plein Air! I absolutely love the Photo frame on tripod idea. I hate running back and forth to the computer and me running is not a pretty picture. I and the kids love Totoro. If you love Totoro, you'll probably will like "Spirited Away" by the same artist. It won an academy award the year it debuted. It took 3 years to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Carrie, I remember using that same paint and it is horrible! It's a Van Goah brand and I remember the zinc white just wouldn't stick on the canvas. Sorry you ended up with it. Glad you got out to paint on Friday anyway. Your painting turned out pretty good for having so much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been tagged my dear... check out my last post please

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for posting this.You read my mind! I've come to the conclusion that I must use the monitor to get true color and as long as I stay on very small canvases it works out, but I've been wondering what to do out in my studio for larger pieces. What brand is this? I have to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, what a great idea to use the digital photo frame! Great paintings--enjoyed visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the photo viewer on the tripod - That is such a good idea - my painting room is too small to stick a computer in and besides - I'd be distracted by the computer, maybe...I'm getting tired of printing everything I want to paint - I have stacks and stacks of photos.
    Love the painting! It turned out very nicely - I dropped a painting (of course, face down) I was working on earlier this week when I stood up to answer the phone - but in the end it works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen some of your paintings. I would like to see more from you.

    Naval Langa
    PAINTINGS GALLERIES

    An Interesting Blog
    MEDICAL TOURISM IN INDIA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea Carrie! You've been cranking out some wonderful landscapes and big kudos for extending yourself into subject matter beyond your comfort zone! Im with Sheila all the way- Im not an Anime fan myself, but Spirited Away is something special AND I too will be sending folks your way via the "Award" :>) Have a great weekend! -Tom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to see your set up with the photo frame, checked mine and it does have a connection for a tripod...who knew!!! Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete