Sunday, February 22, 2009

Alpha Chicken


Alpha Chicken
8" x 6", oil

My first chicken painting. This one taunted me for several weeks before I was ready to give it a try. It was actually really fun to paint and I'm looking forward to doing more. This is our "Alpha" chicken, she's the meanest of the bunch. It's her duty to protect her sisters, seeing as we have no rooster. We've had these lovely layers for about a year and a half now, and they definitely pay their rent. I'm so sold on backyard chickens, I can blather on about then forever.


10 comments:

  1. She's beautiful! I love how proudly she stands holding her ground. Yes! Please do more chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, for some reason I haven't visited your blog. Shame on me...your work is so impressive. Your colors are outstanding and even the landscapes have a sense of motion. I just came from admiring Maria's Pencil Sanity chickens, and it surprised me to see your rooster "pop-up" when I got here. You have another follower, and I invite you to stop by and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed you did this in only three hours! You got her shape and form so well with your lively brushstrokes. She looks like I could just pick her up if I could catch her, that is. I can't wait to see more. Will you paint me one for my kitchen? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chickens paintings, drawings etc... and yours is wonderful YES, make MORE !!! HUgs ( I had some but they all got eaten by the coyotes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the comments, glad to hear there are chicken fans out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie, this alpha chicken is gorgeous! You really captured this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carrie! I love your chicken in the snow!! Fantastic! Cant say Ive ever seen a painting of a chicken in the snow...and it works! Laura at Spring Willow Gallery

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Laura! Chickens generally hate snow, but this one was brave enough to walk in the cold stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Carrie, this beautiful painting of the rooster, congratulations! Each time step to see the new work. If you must follow my blog of pictorial art.
    Ciao!!!

    ReplyDelete